Microsphere analysis

	RADSAFERS,

	I have a "friend" who is looking for - not a good instrument - but the
BEST instrument for detecting radioactive micro-spheres in tissue.  A wide
number of radioisotopes will /may be used for a wide variety of studies.  A
short and incomplete list might include: Ag-105 and 110, As-73 and 74,
Br-80 and 82, Cf-53, Ga-67 and 68, Gd-153, Ge-68 and 71, Gf-197 and 203,
I-125 and 131, In-111/113/114, La-140., Nb-91 and 95, Rb-86, Ru 103 and 106
 - well, you get the picture...

	I would imagine that he is looking for a gamma counter which can be
"hooked up" to a MCA "program" on a computer.  He'll be running from 50 -
100 samples at a time so a well-counter is out.  As sophisticated as LSC's
are, I don't "think" that he'll have the resolution necessary to
differentiate between all of the betas and gammas in the various/sundry
radioisotopes - many of which have emissions which are very close - energy
wise - to each other.  He wants to be able to differentiate between many
(>6 - <10) radioisotopes at once.  At a minimum, a sophisticated (ideal)
system should not only be able to give him counts/channel  (in a plethora
of channels) but also be self-calibratable and have a option of an internal
 "library" to positively I.D. the samples.  He'd like to be able to save
the data electronically and be able to upload it into/onto a commercially
available product  (Windows based?)to display/share the results with others
if necessary.

	I suggested he call Beckman, Packard and EG&G Ortec as a start - any
further suggestions out in RADSAFE land?

	Does anyone have any "personal" experience with a similar system?

	Either email to me personally (baumbaug@nosc.mil) or to RADSAFE if you
think your thoughts/opinions may be interesting to others.

	Thank you all (ahead of time),

	Joel Baumbaugh  (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
	SSC-SD  (the US Navy - sort of)