FW: Proper use of "linear"

Well, being a French person...

I scratched my head and went to my dictionary of mathematics because I
couldn't remember seeing the term "affine" before (getting old, I guess).
So, yes, the semantics are correct but as Jim points out in the last
paragraph, usage does get corrupted, even by mathematicians. "Affine" is
most often used in the context of transformations.  Even the spell checker
is ignorant of this term, even though it's been around since 1918.

> Affine Equation:
>
> A nonhomogeneous Linear Equation or system of nonhomogeneous Linear
> Equations is said to be affine.
>

> Affine Transformation
>
> Any Transformation preserving Collinearity (i.e., all points lying on a
> Line initially still lie on a Line after Transformation).

		[snip]