Fwd:Contamination Control Slogans -Reply

Did the analyses of those "specific occurences" REALLY indicate that a
slogan would have averted them?  More so than job aids and process
controls?  If all you've heard is naysaying then maybe there's something
to the naysaying.   Pass the naysaying and your own intuition (as
indicated in your opening sentence) on to those giving the directive.
Besides, the naysaying suggestions are more consistent with the VPP
process and attainment of star status than use of slogans.

Please do not take my comments as an attack on you or your organization
but rather encouragement that y'all can do better than that, as
demonstrated by your VPP star status.

Will McCabe

>>> "Elizabeth Algutifan"
<elizabeth_algutifan@wssrap-host.wssrap.com> 25 May 99  10:55 >>>
Look, guys - I already know this may not work. But I have been given a
directive
to do this. So far all I've heard from is naysayers. We've been on this
project
for nearly 13 years and have a lot of experience with radcon issues. We
have had
some specific occurrences recently that we feel might be averted in the
future
with reminders such as these. One of the problems we have now, as we
have
accelerated this project with a vision of completion within a few years, is
new
people coming on to the site who have never worked on a project with
radiological concerns. We have well-established training programs, but
there's
only so much you can do there to indoctrinate people to the importance of
contamination control. Our management, to their credit, has always
stressed the
importance of health and safety from the top down.  And our VPP STAR
STATUS will
be awarded next month, rather conclusively demonstrating management's
(and
everyone's) commitment to excellence, if you ask me.

Elizabeth Algutifan,
Health Physicist
Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project
St. Charles, Missouri
Elizabeth_Algutifan@wssrap-host.wssrap.com