Re: Mobile phones

Several points arise from a cursory review of the "new
data" relating low-level microwave to biologic effects:
1.  What did they use for controls?  Our experience in
installing magnetic resonance imaging equipment shows that
we live in a sea of RF.  All MR scanners are now put in
what is called "screen rooms," totally shielded
electrically from outside influence.  This is done to
eliminate environmental RF which interferes with the MR
signal.
2.  Why are similar results not seen in patients undergoing
MR studies?  They are exposed to RF levels greatly in
excess of those from mobile phones.  Current limits for
MR are 1 W/kg whole body and a bit more to local areas.
These limits are approached in some MR studies.
3.  Could the improved reaction times after RF exposure be
the result of learning?  If I read the protocols correctly,
subjects underwent reaction time testing before and after
RF exposure.  Thus, they may have learned how to respond
faster.

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu