Re: Mobile phones

>As a follow up to Rachid Zitouni's posting, the Panorama
>programme  mentioned covered some work in Bristol University in which
>students were exposed to the levels of microwave radiation typical of many
>'phones and were asked to carry out a variety IQ tests together with
>assessment of their reaction times before and after expoure. It was these
>latter tests that apparently demonstrated a significant effect.

I would suggest that people read the actual study before they get very
excited.  I would note the following:
 - The "effect" was seen for just one of 15 measures of cognitive function
(reaction times, memory tests, etc.).
 - The "effect" was very small (a decrease in mean reaction time from 0.388
seconds to 0.373 seconds).
 - The effect was seen for an analog signal, but not for a digital signal.
 - Because an "effect" was seen in just 1 of the 30 tests, it may be an
artifact (statistical noise).
 - Even if the effect is real, it appears to be far too small to have any
real functional significance.

As for the rest of the Panorama program, I would comment:
1)  When Dr. Lai discusses his DNA strand break study he doesn't mention
that two separate groups have failed to replicate it.  One of those groups
also reported that the method Lai & Singh use to kill their animals causes
extensive DNA strand breakage all by itself.
2)  The "in press" Swedish epidemiology study that was characterized as
"positive" by the show is not so characterized by its own authors.
According to a press release from the authors, they found no increased risk
of brain tumors in the mobile phone users, with an odds ratio of 1.0
(0.7-1.4). No increase in brain tumor incidence was seen for either analog
of digital phone users and there was no trend towards increased risk with
increased use. The authors do report that mobile phone users were more
likely to get brain tumors on the side of the head where the phone was
used, but the trend was not statistically significant.

Sorry not to have responsed to this thread earlier, but I have had to
"postpone" RadSafe indefinitely, because it was overwhelming my e-mail
system

John Moulder (jmoulder@mcw.edu)
Electromagnetic Fields and Human Health FAQs
http://www.mcw.edu/gcrc/cop.html