RE: Plutonium-238-containing cardiac pacemakers -Reply

 I have observed a number of cremations at two crematoria  and most
metallic objects (mattress springs, coffin screws, hinges, artificial
hip and knee joints, etc.) are manually removed from the combusted
material.  They  drag a large hand-held magnet through the cremains to
collect the smaller metallic items that are not visibly apparent.  The
reason is that metal objects passing through the bone grinder damage it
or shorten its working life (pun intended).  Just how large is one of
these pacemakers and would the metallic parts of it be attracted to a
magnet??

Karin
Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Officer