Down Syndrome and Radiation Exposure

Anyone have information on whether Down Syndrome can be considered a
teratogenetic effect ?  I have looked in NCRP 115, BEIR V and a few
ICRPs dealing with diagnostic and therapeutic radiation harm to the
reproductive organs and cells as well as the fetus.
Should this be termed mental retardation instead of Down Syndrome, given
the statement that no genetic effects have been found in human
populations studied as a result of radiation exposure?

Thank you for the help - this is in response to a question from someone
in one of our training classes requesting additional information.

Steve Hand
Radiation Safety
University of Maryland