RE: Radiation as a teratogen

I got these definition off of the On-Line Medical Dictionary, available at
http://www.graylab.ac.uk/omd/index.html.  In this case it would meet the
definition.

teratogen

<pharmacology, obstetrics> An agent capable of causing malformations in
embryos. Notorious example is thalidomide.

teratology

<embryology, study> The branch of embryology and pathology that deals with
abnormal development and congenital malformations.

>Maybe you can enlighten me on this, but according to my Webster
>dictionary, the definition of teratology is: [Gk teras marvel, monster +
>-logy
>akin to]: the study of malformations, monstrosities, or serious deviations
>from the normal type in organisms... in other words, slight physical or
>mental growth retardation do not appear to fall into this category, even
>though they
>involve in-utero exposure.
>

>...furthermore, the RERF says,

| | | |__  Physics Safety Support Officer
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow