Re: "Fallout"

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Tel: (412)624-9245
Fax: (412)624-9163
e-mail: blc+@pitt.edu

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Weiner, Ruth wrote:

> I did watch part of "Fallout" last night; my husband watched it all, as he
> has a greater tolerance for TV.  At best, I can say it wasn't entirely
> unbalanced; e.g., they did have a WWII veteran who said he was glad he
> didn't have to be in the invasion of Japan, and his life was probably saved.
> They did spend a lot of time on Operation Smokey (as I think it's called),
> which was egregious and the army's preparation of the troops was pretty
> sickening.

     ---Their treatment of the exposed veterans was very misleading. The
bottom line is that there is no evidence of increased cancer or other
effects among these veterans. The program implied that there was increased
cancer.

> There was a bit about St.
> George, Utah, and someone there who was exposed who then had a Down's
> Syndrome baby, with a pretty clear cause and effect implication.

	--Their treatment of St. George, Utah was also very unbalanced,
implying lots of health consequences. Evidence for this is very weak to
non-existent. Some compensation has been paid, but that was a political
deal worked out by the Utah Senators.

> I hope this letter is not off-topic.  I believe the focus of "Fallout" was
> skewed, and gives an unbalanced impression to those who have absolutely no
> memory of WWII or of atmospheric testing.

	--I felt like the program was highly skewed, heavily influenced by
anti-nukes. Also the following hour gave some pretty dirty remarks about
nuclear power. Nowhere did it note that no American has been injured by
nuclear power, or that coal burning and other alternatives are killing
many thousands every year, or that nuclear power avoids greenhouse
effects.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh