Re: "Fallout" Major Complaint!! -Reply

For those of you who think the "Bomb" debate has nothing
whatsoever to do with our current state of affairs in health physics,
you are sadly mistaken.

Recall that much of our dosimetry-to-effect data is inexorably linked
to the H/N survivors --- along with all of the political, emotional, and
social baggage that comes along with it.

The folks that are anti-nuclear, for the most part, trace their hatred of
things nuclear to the use of nuclear technology for the purpose of
killing in WWII .... however justified it may have been.

Although Japan was seen as the enemy by most nations except
Germany, they are now seen as the victims no matter what atrocities
their armies may have perpetrated.  Indeed, there were victims on all
sides of the conflict.

To ignore the social discourse that traces our roots as Health
Physicists back to the Manhattan Project and the results of their
labor is to close our eyes to the root of the problems that confront us
today.  Such a myopic perspective only prolongs our problems, it
doesn't make them go away.

Have a great day!
My own personal/non-corporate thoughts,
v/r
Michael
mford@pantex.com
TX Radiation Advisory Board

P.S.  For a very good perspective on the technical and historical
aspects of the Manhattan Project and the making and use of the
bombs, I would strongly recommend that you visit the Bradbury
Museum in Los Alamos, NM.  There you will find many interesting
items, including the pamphlets that were dropped on the target cities
warning people to flee to the countryside to avoid the blast effects.