Re: population exposure

Dear David,

	National and International Organization emphasize that Medical Exposure
shall be subject to the justification and optimization parts of dose
limitation, i.e.  the use of radiation for medical purposes  shall be
avoided unless justified and the  protection shall be optimized so that
irradiation of the patient is as low as reasonably achievable and consistent
with the desired results.
Justification also apply to systematic examination. Periodic radiological
examinations undertaken without reference to clinical indications in the
individual case shall be subject to a justification assessment relative to
the useful information obtained and the importance of this information for
the individual's health.

In my understanding  there is a need to  improve the knowledge base on
radiation matters in the medical  professions.  Also an specific training
requirement needs to be identified  for public health physicians, who have a
key role in allaying public anxiety, and for accident and emergency
personnel who may need to deal with patients who have been accidentally
irradiated or contaminated.

J. J. Rozental
josrozen@netmedia.net.il
Israel