RE: Uranium diffusion plants: Environment & occupational health

The most important environmental aspect is probably electricity consumption
-- the gaseous diffusion process is very energy intensive.  Other
environmental aspects are those of any heavy industrial chemical processing
facility, although the plants  have no particular hazardous effluent.

The occupational hazards are chemical, rather than radiological.  Like any
fluoride, uranium hexafluoride is nasty, corrosive stuff, with a relatively
high vapor pressure.  It reacts quickly with water in the air to produce a
fine corrosive powder.  USEC puts out a handbook on how to handle uranium
hexafluoride that is very thorough.  The radiological hazard is negligible
compared to the chemical hazards.

Clearly only my own opinion.

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
Sandia National Laboratories