RE: Plutonium byproduct found near Hanford reach spawning beds

Hi All:

Perhaps Bruce Busby can confirm if they are still doing this, but I know the
University of Washington Fisheries Department used to irradiate salmon eggs
with low doses.  The result appeared to be that more eggs hatched, more fish
returned to spawn, and the fish were bigger and stronger.  The study has
been oft quoted for the hormesis effect of radiation.  I had heard that they
continued to do this as part of the fish hatchery program, but I never
confirmed it.  It might be useful to those who have to respond to the
anti-nuke diatribes.  How about it Bruce, can you find out for us?

Larry Grimm
Lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu