RE: Occupational vs. Medical Exposures

With respect to nuclear medicine procedures, the NRC has interjected
themselves into regulating the dose received by the patient, due to
the procedure performed. surface exposure rates from fluro units have
been regulated for some time, but not the overall dose the patient
actually is exposed to. I suspect that this too will change. There is
a definite move in the regulatory arena to minimize dose that
patients currently receive. This can be a good thing, or a bad thing,
depending on your perspective. On the one hand minimizing unnecessary
exposure is ideal, yet I wouldn't want my physician's hands being
tied as to what procedures, or how much dose he/she believes to be
necessary. In my opinion the best way to reduce dose is to require
that ALL individuals who "irradiate" a patient, either from nuclear
medicine, or radiology, be trained, and be knowledgeable regarding
what they are working with, and, what the associated exposure and
resultant dose the patient actually receives. If the physician can't
fathom what they are exposing the patient to, then they should not be
giving the patient an "unknown" dose.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205