RE: 2 mrem/hr limit

In Canada, our nuclear medicine therapy licence states that "the
licensee must ensure that the radiation dose rate in occupied areas
adjacent to the patient room does not exceed 2.5 microsieverts/hour
(0.25 mrem/hr) OR that other patients do not receive a radiation dose in
excess of 500 microsieverts (50 mrem) per hospital stay".

Note that you can elect to meet either the dose rate restriction or the
integrated dose restriction, but do not have to meet both restrictions
simultaneously.

Canada is soon moving to implement the ICRP recommended dose limit of 1
mSv/year for members of the public and I believe the above licence
condition will stay the same.

I'm not sure what other countries are doing, but obviously the limits on
dose rate and/or integrated dose to patients in adjacent rooms  will be
based on the dose limits or dose constraints established by each
national regulatory authority.

Karin
Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Officer