Radiation Safety Percaution in Kazakastan

Hi All -

He's a very odd request. But if anyone can help me with this I know
RadSafer's can.

I have a geologist who will be leaving for Kazakastan next week to collect
rock samples for a paleo-magnetic lab. He will be spending several weeks in
a village called Semitau which is located in Eastern Kazakastan. He's been
informed by his local host that the area they will be traveling in is near
the "nuclear polygon".

He's come to me to ask advice on radiation safety while in the area. As I
have very little experience with former USSR test sites (or any test sites
for that matter). What issues should I advice him on? Specifically:

Are there any radiological hazards still remaining in this area?
If so, is there Kazakastan radiation safety personal that maintain site
security in these ares? (Meaning that the geologist can't get access to
anything that presents a hazard.)
Should I badge our geologist going on the trip?
Should I send them with any detection equipment? Geiger counter (-may be a
problem because of the elevation changes) or solid-state electronic dosimetry?

If anyone has experience or advice in this matter can you please e-mail me
or call. I'll post what I hear in a summary if anyone else is interested.

Thanks Ken