Re: Pu-Be Sources

Californium 252 has some advantages as a result of providing a better energy
spectrum with proper moderators but you pay for the convenience due to the
rapid decay of the Cf-252. NSSI has fabricated up to 30 mCi Cf-252 sources
for use in the oil well logging industry but one must build 5-10 at a time to
be reasonably priced. At this time single sources can be purchased from
Frontier in Solon, Oh or from Amersham.

If you prefer to use Pu-238, we have several 40 Ci sources that we would make
available to you for the cost of a transport container and shipping. We also
have several hundred 5 Ci and 20 Ci Am241Be neutron sources looking to be
adopted.

Disposal of Cf-252 is normally easier as the half life is shorter. NSSI
decays the Cf-252 in house before disposal and at the time of disposal the
Cf-252 has not been a problem.

Current source design of alpha N neutron sources and fission sources has
eliminated the pressure buildup problems identified in the older PU239Be
neutron sources. I am not aware of any pressure build up problems with Cf-252
sources at the activities you are interested in.

If the sources are for use for neutron instrument calibration, Am241Be will
give the same results as the Pu239Be or Pu238Be. The neutron energies are
very close.

Disposal of Am-241 and PuBe sources should be easier in the future as Los
Alamos gets their source recovery program operational. Since it's
implementation in April 1999, approximately 60 sources have been recovered
and are in storage at the NSSI facility under this program. Los Alamos
expects to recover thousands of sources under this program during the next
two years. Los Alamos is currently fabricating and testing long term storage
containers for use in this program.

If you have an interest in any of the surplus sources NSSI has in inventory,
please contact me at 713 641-0391.

Robert D Gallagher
NSSI