Re: Whole Body Deep Dose & Non-uniform fields (5)

>>1.  How many medical facilities you know are applying NCRP
         122 or HPS 13.11?

The appropriate place for dose weighting, in the medical field, is
very useful in interventional procedures, such as catheritization,
etc. Some states do allow a dose weighting for the deep dose, if an
individual wears 2 dosimeters, one on the collar, and the second
under a lead apron at about the waist level. There is also an
equation for individuals who only wear a single dosimeter on the
collar. Not all states allow this, and not for all individuals performing
the procedure. Report 122, abstract below, defines several
methods for performing a dose weighting for individuals. The NRC
does not currently permit dose weighting. Report 122 may
eventually lead to workers under NRC regulations, to employ one of
the methods defined in the report, to more accurately assess the
dose assigned to the worker.

HPS 13.11 (ANSI N13.11-1993) is a performance standard. It is the
standard under the auspices of NVLAP, which meets the
requirements accepted by the NRC and states, where a processor
of dosimetry must be NVLAP accredited. ANSI N13.11-1993, or its
predecessor, ANSI N13.11-1983, do not have anything to do with
dose weighting.

NCRP Report No. 122

Use of Personal Monitors to Estimate Effective Dose Equivalent
and Effective Dose to Workers for External Exposure to Low-LET
Radiation

NCRP Report No. 122 takes cognizance of the fact that in many
external exposure circumstances, dose equivalent estimates
obtained from personal monitors significantly overestimate effective
dose equivalent (HE) or effective dose (E), particularly when the
body is not uniformly irradiated due to the irradiation conditions or
due to protective shielding of portions of the body. Specifically, in
these cases, the numerical relationships between monitoring data
and HE or E need to be better understood so that appropriate
monitoring practices are selected and monitoring data are properly
evaluated. This Report explores these numerical relationships for
external exposure from low-LET radiation and gives
recommendations for estimating HE or E in practice,  using
personal monitors.

>>2.  Do you think there is any difference or benefit on monitoring
         rad workers (and applying the 5R limit) in any 12 month
         besides using the standard calendar year?

The question is one of monitoring frequency, and has nothing to do
with whether or not the individual was assigned a proper dose, or
the degree of dose. In the USA, and I expect most countries, the
time period for annual dose monitoring is a calendar year. There
can be some slippage in this, i.e., for individuals who start
monitoring on the 15th of the month. In that case, the annual dose
is based on 1/15 thru 1/14 of the following year. To answer your
question, in my opinion, there is nothing to be gained from a varied
12 month calendar. For recordkeeping, it is much simpler to have a
standard year, and, from a computer system, it is easier to
maintain. If not, the system must be developed to handle rotating
frequencies. In the end, what is to be gained, must be answered.
But the regulators most likely would not accept. The regulations
are based on specific dose for a specific period. If under federal or
agreement states, the limits are for a calendar year. If under many
states, the limits are quarterly, and they are well defined.