RE: Nuclear Laundry

Ladies and Gentlemen:

While the scope of Santa Fe's preposterous discharge ordinance allows
medical radionuclides, we must be reminded that many anti-nuclear
concerns are blatantly against the production and use of therapeutic and
diagnostic radionuclides.  Given the ideologic spectrum and practices of
many anti-nuclear groups, we must with only the greatest caution
congratulate their constructive contributions.

One member of CCNS who entered our office here, a retired medical
doctor, expressed deepest remorse at having prescribed diagnostic X-rays
to certain patients.  He stated that his anti-nuclear efforts were the
least he could do to make amends.

The discharge criterion contained in the New Mexico Radiation Protection
Regulations were adopted under compatability with NRC regulations.  As
professionals we recognize that these criterion were developed using
scientific methodology for determining acceptable risk.  However, the
Concerned Citizens for Nuclear Safety here in Santa Fe played upon the
unfamiliarity and radiophobia of many local people.  While the
regulations are based on scientific fact, the ideolgies of CCNS border
on pagan superstition.

The New Mexico Environment Department filed an amicus brief in support
of INS's suit.  NRC Region IV has also expressed its recognition that
effluent discharge by INS was in compliance with applicable regulations.

These statements are my own, and are unofficial.  They are in now way to
be construed to represent the positions or beliefs of the New Mexico
Environment Department.

Stan Fitch
stanley_fitch@nmenv.state.nm.us