N.C. Out of Nuclear Waste Compact

the following article was posted earlier today by the AP

N.C. Out of Nuclear Waste Compact

 Associated Press
 Wednesday, July 21, 1999 1:00PM

By SCOTT MOONEYHAM

Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) via NewsEdge Corporation -

North Carolina lawmakers voted to stop development of a
low-level nuclear waste dump to replace a South Carolina facility
that is one of three such dumps in the nation.

Legislators voted Tuesday to pull out of the Southeast Compact,
a congressionally chartered group of seven Southeastern states
that was one of several created around the nation to deal with
waste disposal. The move has the backing of Gov. Jim Hunt.

The Legislature's action leaves generators of nuclear waste _
utilities and research organizations _ across most of the country
dependent on a dump in Barnwell, S.C. A dump in Utah doesn't
accept the range of wastes handled by Barnwell, and one in
Washington serves only Northwestern and Rocky Mountain area
states.

North Carolina officials have been at odds for years with the
compact over development of a disposal facility, planned for a
wooded site outside of Raleigh.

The project is now years behind schedule and millions of dollars
over budget. So far, the state has spent an estimated $40 million
on the project, mostly for geological studies.

State nuclear regulators held up the plan because they feared
underground water at the site would leach radioactivity into water
supplies.

``We need a new plan. We need to start over,'' said Sen. David
Hoyle, a Democrat. ``North Carolina needs to take care of North
Carolina's problem and let every other state take care of their
problem.''

Kathryn Haynes, executive director of the compact, predicted the
dispute would end up in court.

``We do have the administrative procedure, the sanctions
procedure,'' Haynes said. ``The question is ... whether we will
have to go to court to enforce them.''

The decision to leave the compact follows months of bitter
dispute between North Carolina officials and the commission.

The other states have complained that North Carolina has
needlessly delayed development of the dump.

In 1995, South Carolina pulled out of the compact because of
frustration with its northern neighbor. South Carolina passed a
law that banned North Carolina waste from Barnwell, although
waste from all other states were welcome. Waste generators in
North Carolina have to store wastes on their property.

The waste includes such items as medical waste, rags, clothing,
tools and used parts from nuclear power plants that have picked
up low levels of radioactivity.

The states in the compact are Virginia, North Carolina,
Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Mississippi.