Master Of Health Physics Program

I have received quite a few questions about the Master of Health Physics
program with which I am associated at the Illinois Institute of Technology
(IIT). I will try to answer as many as is possible.  The program is not
intended to create more new HPs.  It is designed to improve career
opportunities for existing HPs by enhancing skills and encouraging
certification.

HPs may take individual courses such as the HP core, Regulations,
Dosimetry, Theory of Organizations, or Instrumentation without applying for
admission to the program.  These courses can serve as preparation for the
ABHP certification exams.  However, only 9 semester hours taken this way
may be applied to a degree.  Also, Up to 6 semester hours earned at an
accredited college or university may be transferable.

Students who did not meet the deadline for formal admission to the program
for Fall, 1999, may still apply for Quick Admission and take Fall classes.
Formal application to the Graduate College should be made at the same time
to ensure admission by the Spring semester.  Minimum admission requirements
include a bachelor's degree (usually a BS in a science or engineering) and
a GRE score of 1200.

Tuition costs are ~$600/semester-hour.  The program is 32-33 semester
hours.  Limited financial aid may be available, particularly when a group
of several students are employed by a single organization that arranges to
meet administrative requirements, including payment of tuition and exam
proctoring, centrally.

Contact Carlo Segre, PhD, segre@iit.edu, 312-567-3498  for administrative
questions or me, port@iit.edu, 847-965-1999, for course content or
professional questions.