Cancer treatment

Scott Kniffin wrote
"One of my co-workers is going to be getting radiation therapy as a follow
up to cancer surgery and the radiation is to be followed by about 30 min of
heat therapy.  I've covered the radiation aspects with this person, but the
heat follow up is a bit of a mystery.  The doctor said something about it
helping the radiation work better.  Can anyone give me a more satisfactory
answer to pass along, please?"

The heat therapy is known as hyperthermia treatment.  Cells heated to above
about 42 degrees start to die off and cancerous cells are more susceptible than
normal cells.  The temperature is fairly critical, and for hyperthermia alone
the difficulty is ensuring a uniform temperature throughout the treated volume.
Hyperthermia is used in combination with radiotherapy where the heat treatment
potentiates the effect of the radiation.  The hyperthermia is normally
administered prior to radiotherapy, and a lower radiation dose may be used.
There is a journal "Hyperthermia" devoted to the topic.

Andrew McEwan

Andrew C McEwan PhD
National Radiation Laboratory
PO Box 25-099