In-Flight Radiation

David Lee wrote:
<begin excerpt>
OSHA may possibly have some regulatory authority in this area.  Taking Rob
Barish's point that flight crew members are unquestionably "radiation
workers" and the empowered regulatory entity is the FAA, then it appears that
Rob's point is that the FAA is not asserting itself appropriately as far as
the radiation monitoring of flight crew members is concerned.

But If the FAA were to assert itself to a greater regulatory
degree, what might be the result?  As far as I can discern under such a
hypothetical, the FAA would formally declare flight crew members to be
"radiation workers" in which case the relevant annual dose limit would
probably something in the neighborhood of 5 rem--far above the 100 mrem/yr
"member of the public" dose limit.  Then the only remaining issue would be
that of providing individual dosimetry to those crew members judged likely to
exceed 0.5 rem/yr.  Perhaps Sandy Perle can elucidate, but as far as I have
been able to discern, even if the FAA were to require individual dosimetry
for at least a portion of flight crew members, earth-based NVLAP individual
dosimetry systems are not presently certified for assessing with reasonable
accuracy the much different (mixed field) radiation environment to which
flight crew members are exposed.

As others have already pointed out, from a radiation safety standpoint,
flight crew member doses may already be ALARA, even in the absence of greater
FAA regulatory assertiveness, given that basically only the precept of "time"
can be used to reduce crew member radiation doses.  The external radiation
safety precepts of "distance" and "shielding" are impractical in the case of
flight crew members. So even if some governmental regulatory agency were to
bring flight crew members into the "radiation worker" fold and health
physicists to set themselves to the task of documenting and trying to reduce
crew member doses to ALARA, how would flight crew members end up being better
protected compared to the present situation?

In the end, as already stated by Al Tschaeche, we are back to the
issue of "low doses."  Even if the average flight crew member dose is say 0.6
rem/yr, 600 mrem/yr is simply not a radiobiologically harmful dose, despite
the fact that within an L-NT regulatory framework, 600 mrem/yr impels a
radiological control organization to manifest some degree of ALARA (dose
bookkeeping) concern.<end excerpt>

Regarding David's impression that dose monitoring of flight crews is of
concern to me, it is fair to say that it is the lack of education of this
worker group that is of far greater concern. I am not really as bothered by
failure to institute dose monitoring (except for pregnant crewmembers) as I
am by the failure of the FAA to require their regulated employer group (the
airlines) to even mention this subject to the flight attendants and pilots.
As I said earlier, the advisory circular AC 120-61 on crewmember training is
completely voluntary, and no airline has chosen to follow its advice and
institute such training. I think this is regrettable. As I also said in an
earlier posting, a dose of 5-6 mSv (500-600 mrem) per year for a twenty or
thirty year career will bring the accumulated lifetime dose to these people
above the "10 rem lifetime" dose that the HPS considers a boundary of concern
for real health risks. As David implied later in his note, failure to
regulate, even at the level of providing some basic educational material for
this large worker group, is certainly out of whack with respect to the
elaborate radiation training programs in current practice for workers
receiving a small fraction of crewmembers doses.

Let me again state unequivocally that the FAA has classified their regulated
constituency, flight crewmembers, as radiation workers. The have advised that
the employers educate them with AC 120-61.  They feel that their creation of
the CARI computer program, which is accessible to anyone who is interested,
should serve as the mechanism for dose assessment for any interested
crewmember. I can state this latter claim to be factual since I am in
possession of a letter from Thomas E. McSweeny, Associate Administrator for
Regulation and Certification of the FAA, dated 16 July 1999, in which he
states "The agency has also made available educational materials and a
computer program that permits crewmembers to calculate their personal
radiation exposure. While there is an increased risk for cancer from any
ionizing radiation exposure, air carrier crewmembers are unlikely to exceed
the recommended exposure limits of the Environmental Protection Agency
because of cosmic radiation. Only pregnant flight attendants could approach
these limits but the use of exposure calculations combined with appropriate
flight scheduling can effectively mitigate the risk."

At this point it is appropriate to allow you all to download the famous CARI
program in its latest version so that you can see how the agency expects the
worker to perform these "exposure calculations." After you do so, imagine
that you are a 20-year-old flight attendant who is interested in determining
her dose. See what the FAA expects her to do on her PC. By the way, once you
log on don't forget to look up the appropriate heliocentric potential from
the FAA web site, because the program won't run without it. Go to:
www.cami.jccbi.gov and give yourself a thrill.

Addressing David's last point, about ALARA, as I said in one of my earlier
postings, no flight crewmember is likely to exceed the 50 mSv (5 rem) annual
dose limit. This is the limit referred to by Mr. McSweeny in the quote above.
As far as I am concerned, receiving these occupational exposures, with their
potential for a lifetime accumulation greater than 100 mSv, is best left to
the crewmembers themselves but such a decision cannot be made without some
understanding of the subject and discussion of the risks. That's where the
current situation is so unfortunate. A large body of workers regularly
receives these occupational exposures, and they are completely unaware of the
situation and therefore unable to make an informed decision as to the
acceptability of the risk. Even if all of us agree that the risk is small, we
should also agree that these people have the right to decide for themselves
if it is acceptable.