Contamination Checks at Nuke Plants

Perhaps it's time to send Richardson back to the U.N., and take him
away from all of these "dangerous" radiation potentials.

Tuesday August 10 7:59 AM ET

Contamination Checks at Nuke Plants

WASHINGTON (AP) - Energy Secretary Bill Richardson said today the
government is looking into whether workers at federal nuclear
facilities, in addition to one in Paducah, Ky., may have been exposed
to dangerous radiation.

``We're looking at other plants, at Oak Ridge (Tenn.), to see whether
this might have happened,'' Richardson said in an interview on NBC's
``Today.''

``We believe right now that the situation needs a full airing, that
Congress needs to look into it,'' Richardson said.

Workers at the Energy Department uranium-enrichment plant in Paducah
will be subjects of a medical review following charges that thousands
of employees were unwittingly exposed to plutonium and other highly
radioactive metals.

Richardson ordered the study after a newspaper reported that the
Paducah case differed from other nuclear contamination incidents
because workers there did not know they were handling plutonium.
Instead, they thought they were dealing only with much less-potent
uranium, which they were enriching for commercial nuclear fuel.

``It's inexcusable if the government concealed information, along
with the contractors, that in the '50s and '60s and '70s these
workers might have been exposed to plutonium,'' Richardson said. ``If
that is the case ... and we are investigating, these individuals need
to be treated and compensated, the government has to apologize.''

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205

              - G. K. Chesterton -