RE: medical misadministration of I-131

Hi all:

Sandy Perle and others have criticized a medical misadministration. It
should be noted that the NRC has looked at the misadministration issue every
which way.  The issue has been studied extensively.  Typically when the
problem occurs, the licensee is scrutinized and if there are systemic
problems, then new QA/QC measures are enforced. find some copies of the
Nuclear Licensing Reports - you will be surprised at how often
misadministrations occur and maybe surprised at the NRC/States' responses.

Does anyone want to guess what the major (90%) causative factor is for
medical misadministrations?  Plain, old, simple human error.  Impossible to
regulate, almost impossible to prevent.  Lest we chastise the medical
community much further, let us all not forget the aphorism "He who casts the
first stone..".  It would be lovely if I could say that I've never made a
stupid mistake, but alas poor Yorick!

Larry Grimm
lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu