Re: Misadministrations

Most RADSAFERS are apparently not aware of the mandates of
managed care and their effects on American medicine.  For
example, they require that all procedures be performed by
the least qualified person available--just to save money.
My personal history is an example.  I have had a heart
attack and bypass surgery.  A managed care plan that my
employer urged me to join refused to cover followup care by
my cardiologist.  They insisted that it could be done just
as well by a general practitioner.  Needless to say, I
opted out of that plan pronto!
These plans are doing similar things with radiologic
procedures, including nuclear medicine.  These bean
counters seem to prefer that such procedures be performed
outside of radiology, by persons with no training
(except from the equipment salesman!) and little
understanding of what they are doing. Another
example: Recently I encountered a young woman in another
institution (not in radiology) who was performing Doppler
ultrasound examinations with no supervision; she knew her
machine was Doppler but did not know that it was
ultrasound! Fortunately, these things are very safe--but I
wondered how she could poossibly know when she had
performed a good or a poor study.
I am in no way attempting to excuse any misadministration
of radiopharmaceutical--or any other error in health care.
We put protocols in place that are designed to prevent
them, but they will be eliminated only when we can find
humans who can achieve 100% perfection.  Christians believe
only one person has ever done so.  Other religions are not
so sure that anyone has.
S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670        Email:j.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu