risk and the media

Having had the "pleasure" to stand in front of and to address the
media on risks associated with radiation, radioactive effluent
releases and long term consequences (during emergency exercises) for
about 20 years, I come away with one conclusion; the media's goal is
to SELL their story to the public. If readership or viewers is
increased, the station or paper makes a profit, and their jobs are
secure. Reporting on non-happenings, or on issues that aren't
controversial, don't SELL. The public in general, is emotionally
driven. The public doesn't want to see death or gross happenings that
affect others, yet they stop and stretch their necks to see a
possible glimpse of "death and destruction" at an accident scene or
catastrophe. This unfortunately is human nature (in our society
anyway). The media knows that radiation is a hype word that will
generate media attention, and the more they dish out, the more papers
or advertisement time they will SELL.

When there was no story, the media made one with all of their
ridiculous hypothetical scenarios. If there is no problem, they make
one that is not totally unheard of, therefore, the possibility is
remote, yet we, the experts standing in front of them, can't
categorically say that there is NO probability. If the probability is
not 100%, in the minds of the media, and the public, it can happen.

Emergency exercises that are ridiculous, going to the point of being
asinine, have fostered this public view that these accidents can in
all reality, occur, under the right circumstances. These
circumstances show up as sound bites during the evening news, or in a
paragraph in the printed media. Who is to blame.. well, I've beaten
that horse before when emergency exercises was discussed. I won't go
into that.

Bottom line, no matter what we say, in the end, it won't matter. If
we are pro, we're biased, if we're con, we're enlightened. I agree
with Ruth. State our position and go on. Any more energy expended is
wasted.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205