Re: Richard Meserve

See the attached, White House press release of August 6, 1999.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

  THE WHITE HOUSE

                     Office of the Press Secretary
                        (Little Rock, Arkansas)
For Immediate Release                                     August 6, 1999

         PRESIDENT NAMES RICHARD A. MESERVE TO SERVE AS MEMBER
                  OF THE NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION

     The President today announced the nomination of Richard A. Meserve
to serve as Member of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).  The
President will designate him as Chair upon appointment.

     Mr. Richard A. Meserve, of Falls Church, Virginia, has been a
partner or an associate at the Washington D.C. law firm of Covington &
Burling since 1981.  Dr. Meserve's practice focuses on legal issues that
involve substantial technical content, including environmental and
toxic-tort litigation, nuclear licensing, and the counseling of
scientific societies.  Since 1981, Dr. Meserve has served on a variety
of committees of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) and the National
Academy of Engineering.  He is currently the chairman of a NAS committee
that is seeking to upgrade the protection of nuclear weapon material in
Russia.  Dr. Meserve previously served as chairman of NAS committees
that examined the cooperative threat reduction program with the former
Soviet Union, and that advised the U.S. Department of Energy on the
declassification of information.  From 1988 to 1994, Dr. Meserve was one
of the co-chairman of the National Conference of Lawyers and Scientists,
a group sponsored by the American Bar Association and American
Association for the Advancement of Science.  From 1977 to 1981, Dr.
Meserve was legal counsel to the President's Science and Technology
Advisor.

     Dr. Meserve was formerly a Law Clerk to Justice Harry A. Blackmun,
United States Supreme Court, and to Judge Benjamin Kaplan, Massachusetts
Supreme Judicial Court.  Dr. Meserve received a B.A. degree from Tufts
University, a J.D. from Havard Law School, and a Ph.D. in applied
physics from Stanford University.

     The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is a bi-partisan, independent
regulatory commission with responsibilities ensuring adequate protection
of the public health and safety, common defense and security, and
environment with respect to the use of nuclear materials for civilian
purposes in the United States.

                                30-30-30