RE: Rad-hard oil

At our power plant, I believe we use Mobil synthetic 30. wt oil for just
about everything.  I would think degradation would be driven by LET for the
potential breakage of molecular chains.  I've seen degradation in our
plexiglass Sr-90 source holders, but I don't recall seeing anything
associated with photons in a plant environment that has shown degradation.
As far a neutrons go, I guess you could look at the atomic make up and make
some qualitative assumptions based on cross section and neutron energy.

I would think someone in the power plant world might have some data.  There
is a lot of analysis associated with lubricants used in plant systems.  I
would think RCP oil is probably exposed to the highest photon rates in a
power plant.

Not much help,
Glen
glen.vickers@ucm.com