Re: CHP study materials

Bill Lipton said:
"While Shapiro's book is excellent, it's keyed to physicians and other mathematical illiterates, e.g., it has no calculus.  I'd have to choose Herman Cember, "Introduction to Health Physics," 3rd edition."

Mike Davidson says:
Although use of calculus is unquestionably necessary in many aspects of the field, and certainly in HP academic curricula, it is my experience that it is not necessary to pass either part of the certification exam.  Calculations on the examinations in the worst (best?) case require algebra and kinetics equations.  Further, I think the original question on this thread referred only to Part I, which has about 10 calculations out of 150 questions.  On Part II, although derivation of relationships using calculus is "elegant", it is too time consuming for most candidates to be a time-effective technique.

As far as references, Use Bevelacqua's new book on basic health physics, the Moe text as recommended  by Mr. Bronson, or take a prep course.  Best all three.

My illiterate opinion only.

Mike Davidson
GTS Duratek
(410) 312-5121 voice