From: Kim Merritt [mailto:merritt9@llnl.gov]
Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 9:20 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Qigong

I would be cautious about discounting an entire religous practice based
upon the varacity of one of its claimed influences.  Many universally
accepted religions make rather unusual claims about the power of their
mystics as well.  I seem to remember Jesus doing some real
"anti-scientific" stuff.

Religions which utilize the ability to focus Ch'i or (Q'i) actually perform
some rather amazing physical feats.  Whether their ability to alter
radioacive decay is true I can't say because I have not witnessed the
evidence.  I just urge you to be carefull of who's religous beliefs you are
insulting.  As for the effectiveness of Chinese medicine, it's benefits for
many things have been well proven.  Many of it's principles are used in
physical therapy (nerve and soft tissue manipulation and massage), they
just lack the mysticism aspect.

Sorry if this is off topic Melissa.  I will cease and desist, so no need to
send me a nasty-gram.  I just take issue with individuals insulting people
based upon them practicing a particular faith.

| | | |__  Physics Safety Support Officer
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow