RE: medical misadministrations

Group,

I'm not sure the root causes of many of these mis-adminstration incidents
has much at all to do with health physics, but more with human error.  Most
of the incidents I've heard of could have been prevented by actions such as
self-checking, independent verification, concurrent verification, three-way
communication, clarifying and confirming communications, etc.

Contact your local nuclear power plant for error prevention methods you can
use in your daily life.  Everyone feels they are understaffed, but I feel
the level of self-checking or error detection you use is proportional to how
much you care.  It is far better to spend a couple of extra minutes a day on
error prevention, than to attempt to explain your error to a regulator or a
parent whose infant child is a victim of your inappropriate action.

Most Sincerely,
Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@ucm.com