Re: North by Northwest to Catch a Neutrino in the Act

Hi All,

I don't know about "clouds over Paris", although they may have been
incidental, but I do know that the NASA statement is correct.
Becquerel did leave his film, for whatever reason, in the drawer next
to a piece of uranium ore.  For his correct interpretation of the reason
for the smudge on his film, he shared the 1903 Nobel prize in Physics
with Marie and Pierre Curie.

Regards

Fritz

"Heinmiller, Bruce" wrote:

> The statement quoted below appears in the NASA site, and I think it's
> incorrect.  Wasn't the real "accident" a case of too much cloud cover one
> day in Paris?  Paul Frame, are you out there to adjudicate here?
>
> Bruce Heinmiller
> heinmillerb@aecl.ca
>
> "Photographic emulsions are the world's oldest radiation detection
> technique, dating back to 1896 when Henri Becquerel discovered radiation
> when he accidentally left a piece of uranium ore atop some fresh film."

**************************

NOTE CHANGE OF ADDRESS

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.
Principal