Re: Macalaster Scientific Corp. "Radioactive Materials Kit"

     Erick,

     I believe these kits were made by Eduquip Inc. but sold through
     various supply catalogs under different names. The plastic cubes
     contained a gram or two of uranium sulfate, sodium sulfate, uranium
     nitrate, sodium nitrate, thorium nitrate, and sulfur. The lettered
     cubes were placed on a sheet of film for three days. By observing
     which cubes fogged film, the student could deduce which elements were
     radioactive and then confirm it with a Geiger counter. By looking at
     the chemical formulas, the student then deduced which elements were
     radioactive. A current version of this kit is available from a couple
     of suppliers. It uses small, sealed plastic bags of the same chemicals
     rather than cubes. Thorium Nitrate is deliquescent and often
     liquifies, contaminating the container and materials in these sets, so
     a little caution is advised.

     bill
     william.ctr.kolb@faa.gov