Re:RE: Radiation Panel Makeup Protested

Jaro - That's a good point. I am not aware of the specifics regarding Dr.
Mossman's being dropped from the BEIR VII panel, but I will (given my limited
knowledge of epidemiology and risk assessment) say that I tend to support his
argument about the inappropriateness of the LNT model. While at the 1997 HPS
meeting in San Antonio, I listened to one of Dr. Mossman's students who gave a
presentation entitled "Public Exposure Limits Using Model-Independent
Strategies." The hypothesis here is that all models, including LNT and the
alternatives, have significant uncertainties associated with their use at
environmental and typical occupational exposure levels. Therefore, given the
lowest dose (based on 50 y of research) that has consistently been associated
with a measurable increase in radiogenic risk (100 mSv or 10 rem), and a DREF of
2, he recommends a public exposure limit of 2 - 3 mSv (200-300 mrem) per year to
result in a 70-year lifetime limit of 10 rem. Basically that's double the
average U.S. background. And I think we all know that some other parts of the
world, higher latitudes, frequent fliers living in Denver, etc. can easily get
double background in a year. So what is everyone so upset about? I know - it's
nuclear energy, period.

Dr. Mossman - are you out there? I'd be interested to hear your remarks.

Elizabeth Algutifan,
Environmental Health Physicist
Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project
St. Charles, Missouri
Elizabeth_Algutifan@wssrap-host.wssrap.com