functional, user friendly databases

Okay, I would love to hear from anyone out there in RADSAFE land who knows
of a good database program that can handle obnoxiously large databases.  A
research project I'm working on right now involves a system that is
continuously taking data, approximately once every two seconds.  We are
currently using Microsoft Access to handle files with as many as 1 million
data points, with 5-8 readings per entry.  The data files are in the dozens
of megabytes range, and Access is not handling them well.  It takes forever
to simply cut and paste a couple of days' worth of data into another
window.  Granted, this is a tall order, but I hope there is something out
there that can do better than Access.  Any suggestions?

In case curiosity is driving you wild, the system in question measures
plutonium mass by measuring the heat output from the source (calorimetry).
It's currently the most most accurate and precise nondestructive assay
system for plutonium.

Thanks,

Philip Hypes
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Safeguards Science and Technology Group (NIS 5)
(505) 667-1556  phypes@lanl.gov

Opinions expressed are purely my own unless otherwise noted