RE: Choice of radiation units to use

Ruth Weiner stated:

> I cannot see where historical units of radioactivity would be any more
> familiar, except to a long-term professional in the field, than SI units,
> and a long-term professional ought to be professional enough that
> familiarity, whatever that is, shouldn't matter.  Certainly rems were not as
> familiar to any of my students as quarts, so if going  to metric volume
> units poses no problem, why should going to SI units pose a problem?

While I can not argue Ruth's point, there is still a fallacy
contained within. Granted, when one "initially" learns a system, be
it science or gardening techniques, that is what they learn. It is
the first thing they learn, and most will comprehend. The primary
issue of conversion to SI units is not for those who are now entering
the field, but what impact on the hundreds of thousands who are
already "in the field".

I see this argument along the following party line (and I mean no
disrespect to anyone if you believe I've mis-categorized you). It's
an issue of the theoreticians and scientists who perform  research or
teach. This group tends to be in favor of conversion. Then I see the
other side, in which I include myself. I call us the "performers".
We're the ones who have to manage large scale programs, dealing with
hundreds of staff who are out there doing the work, turing the screws
for example. We're the ones who deal with the day to day tasks of
getting the job done, and hope to hell that the staff understands
what doses they are exposed to, and don't exceed an administrative
guideline, pre-planned dose limit and worse yet, exceed a regulatory
limit.

In conclusion, it's easy for one to say let's change, keep in stride
with everyone else, when you don't have to deal with the serious
consequences. It may be science in the end, but it's ultimately comes
down to getting the job done. And that we are doing perfectly well in
the traditional units today, and hopefully tomorrow, when common
sense prevails.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205