Area Postings for Beta

Fellow RADSAFERS,

I've searched the RADSAFE archives and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.  I know someone out there has the solution,  I haven't seen a question yet go unanswered.

I would appreciate any opinions, practices, and references you may have dealing with the posting of areas due to beta radiation where DDE from beta is not a concern.

Assume the only source of radiation is power plant components with mixed fission/corrosion products and no significant gamma contribution to dose rates.  The beta energies are low enough that DDE from beta is not significant, documented in past studies.

1.  Do you post 'Radiation Area' signs for those areas that exceed 5 mrem/hr beta @30 cm from the source, or HRA signs for 100 mrem/hr beta @30cm?  Since the 10CFR20.1003 definition of RA and dose equivalent do not differentiate between DDE and SDE, it seems clear to me that posting is required.

2.  Assume these high levels of contamination are now wrapped with plastic to preclude requiring protective clothing for handling the item, but >100 mrem/hr beta @30 cm penetrates the plastic.  Does anyone use a "Beta High Radiation Area" posting or similar to ensure SDE or extremity monitoring when handling such wrapped items?

3. Do all of the normal requirements for a HRA entry apply? (Tech Specs similar to RegGuide 8.38)

Thanks for your help,
Richard Sumrall
HP Instructor
Grand Gulf Nuclear Station
rsumral@entergy.com

My personal questions and musings only, not reviewed or endorsed by my employer.