Re: Suppliers for lead bricks

I would avoid the traditional, unencapsulated lead bricks, because of
industrial hygiene concerns regarding the lead, and because of the potential
for mixed waste generation if the lead becomes contaminated.  Definitely
avoid lead shot.  If it spills, you'll have a difficult time recovering all
of the shot - it can't be vacuumed up.  I recommend lead blankets, which are
generally made of lead wool, in a form that prevents any lead mobility and
protects the lead from contamination.  The vendor will generally quote the
"lead equivalent" thickness.  Also, be sure that you have a disposal /
recycling plan for when this is no longer needed; eg, an agreement from the
vendor to take it back.  You may even be able to "rent" the shielding, which
is probably the best way to avoid hazardous waste generation.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com