Re: LNT, regs and lives

3-4 days ago I commented the LNT issue partly from the molecular biology
perspective. Part of my text was about trivial doses. I was surprised to
note that all emotions came with the SI discussion whereas there were few if
any comments to my LNT text.

Just thought I could add one more idea - a suggested definition level for
"trivial doses": That which is below 0.2 mSv (=20 mrem) which is what you
annually get from your K 40 level. The idea is simple - most of us know that
the K 40 is there - and we all know that this normal level of radioactivity
never (or rarely?) makes people afraid of being close to one another (which
causes even lower - but mutual irradiations). Take an extreme case: Five
people sleeping close to one another 8 hours per day - less than 0.1 mSv
would be obtained (should put some five cylinders into a program...) -
obviously still trivial (from the radioactivity aspect). Alternatively one
could include the cosmic and ground contributions also (except radon) and
put it at 1 mSv (100 mrem) - still something we don't worry about in daily
life. Delay your "production" of children one - year: This is typically 2 to
5 extra mSv to your gonad cells. It may not be judged "trivial" for some
finer genetic analysis but most people wouldn't think much about this.
Somewhere in the approximate range 0.1 mSv (10 mrem) to 1 mSv (=100 mrem, or
perhaps even more) is probably close to where most "informed" people would
agree that we are at trivial levels.

Below these levels we could just leave many forms of administrative
exercises and let the analysis be performed by those who for theoretical
reasons are working with single hits on chromosomes etc. The trivial
estimated/calculated doses may be interesting to follow from a trend
perspective or perhaps for decision making (chosing between two
alternatives). What seems "somewhat crazy" is when you are down in the
background variation and start counting number cancer cases. Statistically
you could probably have a few real cases if enough of years and people
(billions) are allowed but that must be put into a perspective of all risks
(I am on my way to some questionable American fast food).

We have by the way (ref. some so called OSPAR document is supposed to treat
this) some people who are advocating zero Bq-levels of of radionuclides like
Co-60, Zn-65, Cs-137. I was therefore today asked to figure out what is
meant by zero. I see two approaches: 1. Detection limit (measurement) of the
best accumulating organism (Fucus, kelp (??) etc?) 2. Some statistical
description relating to the dose rate variations in nature.

These are my own ideas that may not necessarily coincide with those by
others.

Bjorn Cedervall,    bcradsafers@hotmail.com