Re: Volatility of I-131 NaI

Dear Gordon

Dr. Carol Marcus gave us a very interesting and important lesson  on the
volatility of I-131 NaI.
However, for  your  specific scenario, the volatility is not the task of
first priority.
The first priority is to keep calm and cover the spill with absorbent pads
to contain liquid.
Close door and windows and notify everyone in the room that radioactive
liquid has been spilled;
Everyone in the room go the door and kick off their shoes with their feet,
steeping out of the room as their feet leave their shoes. Do not walk further!
Remove your gloves and shoes if they have been in contact with the spill and
leave them together with anything which could be contaminated  by the spill.
Close the door.
Call for assistance. If no one  can hear, one person only should walk no
further than is necessary to find someone to call a radiation expert and get
a Geiger counter. (The one left in the room may be contaminated.)
Using the Geiger counter, measure the radiation count rates all over the
bodies of those persons who were in the room, with particular attention to
the hands and feet.
Remove immediately any contaminated clothing and place it in a large plastic
bag or other container as dispose as radioactive waste.
Wash any contaminated skin with a mild soap and plenty of water; do not use
a hard brush, or abrasive soap. After washing, and measuring should be
repeated    until no counts above background can be measured or until the
count rate does not change after three cycles off washing. Skin moisturizing
lotion should be applied
between washings, if  available.

Ref.:

Practical Radiation Safety Manual - Manual on Therapeutic Uses of Iodine 131
IAEA PRSM, 1992

J. J. Rozental
josrozen@netmedia.net.il
Israel