DCGL Values and ALARA

Radsafers,

As many of you may be aware, we are in the process of decommissioning our research reactor here at Georgia Tech.  We are decommissioning to Reg Guide 1.86 levels (Not MARSIMM).

We are trying to find a method by which we can determine in what areas our money would best be spent to perform further decontamination after 1.86 levels have been met.  The NRC put out a working Reg guide on ALARA Analysis that outlines a method to perform a determination on when further decontamination would be economically reasonable.  In order to use their equations, it is necessary to have DCGL values for both surface contamination and volumetric contamination.

The DCGL is the average concentration of residual activity that would give a dose of 25 mrem/yr to the average member of the population in units of activity per unit area for buildings or activity per unit volume for soils.

Does anyone know of a place where (or has someone calculated) I can get generic DCGL (Derived Concentration Guideline) values for common radionuclides in such things as concrete, building surface contamination, soil, etc for a building that is decommissioned to free release.  From what I have read, it seems that to get these numbers, an analysis using software such as Resrad needs to be done.  We can certainly do this if necessary, but I was wondering if there was a generic table somewhere?

Thank you.

Johannes "Fritz" Strydom

Health Physicist

Georgia Institute of Technology