Re: Potassium iodide, continued

At 10:06 PM 9/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Two recent postings to RADSAFE dealt in whole or in part with the NRC's
>proposed rule on KI (the "fighter jet" rule).  They came from the NRC's
>Patricia Sullivan (PAMS718) and Dr. Carol Marcus.  I'd like to respond
>briefly to both.
>
>Ms. Sullivan's thoughtful posting raises a number of issues.  She
>suggests that KI cannot have been effective in Poland because
>administration did not begin until 2 to 4 days after the accident, and
>KI, to be effective, must be administered just before, during, or just
>after the release.  I would answer that the usefulness of KI depends not
>on when the radioactive release occurs, but when the radioactive iodine
>is inhaled or ingested.  It took some time for the winds to bring
>radioactivity to other parts of Europe; moreover, it came not in a
>single release, but over a period of days.  Thus the notion that Polish
>children received KI too late to derive any benefit is not, I think,
>correct.
>
>I do not take issue with the proposition that ingestion, especially of
>milk, was the principal source of children's exposure to radioiodines
>after Chernobyl.  (Ms. Sullivan writes that in the former Soviet Union,
>"It is believed that the increases in thyroid cancer can be attributed
>mostly to ingestion.")  "Mostly" is not the same as "exclusively,"
>however.  If it is conceded that inhalation was responsible for some of
>the post-Chernobyl cancers, then it is worth asking whether it is worth
>spending a small amount of money to achieve an additional level of
>protection against inhaled radioiodines.
>
>As far as the claim that not enough radioiodine reached Poland to have
>caused any thyroid cancer, I can say only that Dr. Janusz Naumann, the
>distinguished Polish physician and teacher who directed his country's
>administration of KI, takes issue with it.  She might wish to contact
>either Dr. Nauman or Dr. Jan Wolff, of NIH, who with Dr. Naumann
>co-authored a paper in an American medical journal on the Polish
>experience with KI.  She and other RADSAFERS might usefully consult
>"Radiation and Thyroid Cancer," a book published earlier this year.  It
>consists of papers delivered at the 1998 Cambridge University conference
>of that name.  The conference was co-sponsored by the European
>Commission, the U.S. Department of Energy, the National Cancer
>Institute, and Cambridge University.
>
>Ms. Sullivan is correct in saying that U.S. policy emphasizes evacuation
>and interdiction of food supplies.  But evacuation is not always
>feasible, and even when it is, people can be irradiated while
>evacuating, as EPA stressed in a 1992 report.  It's worth noting that
>back in the years when nuclear power plants were being licensed,
>opponents of plants would often argue that a particular site could not
>be evacuated in the event of an accident that tied up roads or in bad
>weather conditions, or the like.  In response, the NRC at that time took
> [...]

Dear Radsafers:

As a scientist as well as a physician, I am not terribly impressed with the
opinions of so-called "experts" so much as I am interested in the high
quality data upon which theories and decisions are made.  As far as
Chernobyl is concerned, we know that the rate of papillary thyroid carcinoma
in very young children in regions nearby appears to be much higher than
previously noted.  However, there are no really useful data beyond that.
Something associated with the Chernobyl accident appears to have caused the
thyroid cancer.  Was it one or more radioiodines? In the air?  In the food?
Was it external radiation?  Was it a stable element or compound associated
with the accident, either directly or indirectly?  Was it an indirect
effect, such as induction of thyroiditis that itself can be a prelude to
cancer?  We may never know.  We have no measurements of radiation absorbed
dose from different radioiodines in the children who developed thyroid
cancer and those who did not, and we have no dose-response data, the sine
qua non for establishing a causal relationship.

Notice how Mr. Crane, a lawyer, not a scientist or a physician, fails to
admit his error concerning the use of the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR)
rather than the United States Pharmacopeia-Drug Information (USP-DI) for
information on the adverse effects and adverse drug interactions of
supersaturated potassium iodide (SSKI).  His statement that a comment letter
confused side effects of iodinated contrast material with those of SSKI
gives the illusion that no side effects of SSKI occur, especially as he
states that the PDR does not list any.  My comment letter, submitted some
years ago, described in detail the adverse effects and adverse drug
interactions of SSKI; if someone else confused SSKI with iodinated contrast
material, I have no knowledge of it.  However, I doubt that this happened,
and would like to see that comment letter.

The PDR has some usefulness, but generally not for radioactive drugs.  The
PDR is a document in which manufacturers pay to have all or part of their
FDA-approved package inserts reprinted in a book.  They may reprint the
whole insert, part of the insert, or just the name of the drug and none of
the insert.  Obviously the more you print, the more it costs.  Hundreds of
drugs, perhaps even thousands, are in the PDR by name only, with no
information published at all.  The PDR is distributed free of charge to
practicing physicians.  It is basically a form of advertising.  The quality
of the information that is published is tied to the quality of the
FDA-approved package insert.  In the case of radiopharmaceuticals, the
FDA-approved package insert is often the last place to go for valid drug
information.  This is because the people at FDA reviewing
radiopharmaceuticals, and especially their managers, are generally poorly
qualified to do so.  Some good work done by a few competent underlings is
usually killed before it gets out, so it is not surprising to find an
incorrect physical constant, ridiculous or incomplete indications, or no
valid understanding of relevant radiochemistry in describing kit
reconstitution. There are even situations in which instructions are mutually
exclusive, or recommended administered activity is incorrect or misleading.
You don't use the PDR as a valid scientific document.  It has some useful
information for the physician, but it is basically an advertising document.

The USP-DI, on the other hand, is crafted by a non-profit, NON-GOVERNMENT
group  whose drug standards (published in the USP) are, by law, the national
standards.  FDA hates it, but the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act gives
responsibility for creating drug standards to the USP, not the FDA.  FDA
enforces the standards; USP does not.  Those who write standards and drug
information for the USP are highly qualified and experienced professionals,
and their work is voluntary.  Draft standards and draft drug information are
published for comment, and all comments are answered.  Standards and drug
information are continually updated, and comments may be submitted by anyone
at any time for any drug.  The experts of the USP panels do not always agree
with the FDA-approved package insert, and are free to add, subtract, and
ignore whatever they judge appropriate.  They also write monographs on drugs
that are not FDA-approved, although this in recent years has generally been
done only for radiopharmaceuticals.  In the past, the USP and the USP-DI
have been sent to the NRC, but I'm not sure who has it and I'm not sure if
NRC even knows enough to buy the updates.  In any case, that is where the
good drug information is to be found.  Peter, go look up SSKI.  Most of the
problems with this drug will not be seen with a single dose, but may occur
with multiple doses.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
<csmarcus@ucla.edu>