Re: hot particles

A quick search of my files shows the following:

(NRC) IE Information Notice No. 86-23, "Excessive Skin Exposure Due to
Contamination with Hot Particles"

NCRP Report No. 106, "Limit for Exposure to 'Hot Particles' on the Skin" (This
includes a lot of references which may be useful.)

NRC Information Notice No. 90-48, "Enforcement Policy for Hot Particles"

James S. Durham and Michael W. Lantz, "Determination of Gamma Absorbed Dose
Rates and Charged Particle Equilibrium from Hot Particles," "Radiation
Protection Management (RPM)," Vol 8, No. 3 (May/June 1991), pp. 35-41

Grady Calhoun, "Dose Assessment Methodology and Removal of a Hot Particle
Located in the Nasal Passage of a Worker," RPM, Vol 8, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 1991),
pp. 43-45

Peter Murphy, "Calculating Gamma Dose Factors for Hot Particle Exposures,"
RPM, Vol 7, No. 3 (May/June 1990), pp. 38-42

Michael W. Lantz and Michael W. Lambert, "Charged Particle Equilibrium
Corrections for the Gamma Component of Hot Particle Skin Doses,", RPM Vol. 7,
No. 5 (Sep/Oct 1990), pp. 38-49

John D. Blanton, "Skin Dose Assessments Using Portable Instruments at the
McGuire Nuclear Station," RPM Vol. 6, No. 6 (Nov/Dec 1989), pp. 58-68

Isotope Products Laboratories, 1800 N. Keystone St., Burbank, CA 91504-2525,
phone 818-843-7000,  has advertised that they supply simulated, standardized
hot particless for calibrating instrumentation.

Varskin is the standard software for dose evaluations using hot particles.
You should look at the latest version and its documentation.

I'm a little confused regarding your objectives.  How would the counting
statistics for hot particles be unique?  For dosimetry purposes, the NRC
policy is to consider the average dose to 1 cm^2 of skin at a depth of  7
mg/cm^2.

I hope that this is helpful.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton