Re: Misuse of Rad Symbol

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Since Mr. Rima posted his feelings and has received the feedback from all of
you, I thought to have my two cents also.

Have any of you bothered to contact ISHN?

After due consideration, I found that I feel as Mr. Rima does and agree that
the use of the safety symbol was misused in this case.  The misuse of health
and safety symbols is not something to be taken lightly.  How many of you
work around these symbols everyday?  I have found that when postings are
there (many of them on one door at one time) it is relatively easy to neglect
what you have become accustomed to.

I will also use the example of the poison symbol.  What do the poison control
centers state about this particular symbol?  Do you use these as "cool"
stickers on your car or truck bumper?  Noooo, and why would this be?  These
centers state that you do not use these in any way except for poison because
the children (be they under 18 or adult) will disregard them after seeing
them so frequently.  This is a safety issue, not a marketing ploy.

I have contacted ISHN and explained my views also.  They now feel as Mr. Rima
and I both do.  They have assured me that they will be ceasing the use of
this symbol and may even have  an article on this subject.  I would encourage
all of you to sit back, think safety for a moment and then proceed to send
your ideas for the safety symbol article to djsafe@bellatlantic.net .

Melissa J. Engelhard
nfrgtblis@aol.com