RE: Food poisoning

A bit off-topic, but worth mentioning (IMHO)

	* C. botulinum is a common soil organism: it's everywhere
	* It is harmless until its environment goes anaerobic (like in a
sealed jar)
	* It _can't_ tolerate low pH except as a spore - the pH of a pickle
will inhibit it from multiplying
	* Over the last half century or so, tomatoes have been bred for less
acidity
	* Prior to this, tomatoes canned by the "cold pack" process were
acid enough to inhibit growth

couldn't hold the Clostridium in check.

The old way is not always the best way (or why would a new way come along?)

Dave Neil
neildm@id.doe.gov