Re: Re: Northeast Pleads Guilty To Nuclear Violations

John,

I believe the following NRC Press Release answers your question as to what the
substance of the issue was.

No. I-99-84

OR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

eptember 27, 1999

                                  NRC STATEMENT ON DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE ACTION
                                              AGAINST NORTHEAST UTILITIES

The following is a statement from Greta Joy Dicus, Chairman of the Nuclear
Regulatory Commission:

I wish to underscore the Commission's support for the actions announced today by
the United States Attorney's Office in Hartford, Conn. These actions help to
reaffirm the importance of trust and reliability for those who participate in
activities regulated by the NRC. The effective cooperation between NRC and the
U.S. Attorney's Office is important in helping both agencies to accomplish their
missions.

NRC's ability to accomplish its mission of protection of public health and
safety, the environment and the common defense and security requires utilization
of a continuing oversight program through resident and region based inspectors.
The Commission was convinced, prior to allowing the restart of two Millstone
nuclear power plants, that the problems in the training program, as well as
other operational and management problems, had been addressed and corrected. As
noted by Regional Administrator Hubert J. Miller, in his statement (attached)
made on behalf of the Commission, this oversight continues for Millstone even as
we see improvements in licensee performance. The U.S. Attorney's actions today
act as a complement to those activities as we all work to correct past
deficiencies in Millstone's performance.

I wish to subscribe to the comments made by Regional Administrator Miller, as
appended to this statement.

                                                         Statement by
                                                       Hubert J. Miller
                                                  Administrator, NRC Region I

Today's action, based on falsification of licensed operator training
certifications in 1996, is significant. This type of violation of federal law
has serious consequences.  Our investigative effort demonstrates the NRC's
commitment to work effectively with the United States Attorney's Office to
accomplish our mission of protecting public health and safety. We are very proud
of our contribution to this investigation. It demonstrates again the tremendous
talent which we have in our Office of Investigations.

Trust is fundamental to NRC's oversight program. We perform numerous inspections
and monitor day to day plant operations. But because we can only look at a
sampling of plant activities and records, it is important that our
license-holders provide complete and accurate information. Honesty and integrity
are important to ensuring the protection of public health and safety.

The underlying problems that led to today's action led to the NRC issuing a
Confirmatory Action Letter to the company in 1997, to address the numerous
operator licensing issues. In addition, there were other matters at Millstone,
such as the breakdown of a safety conscious work environment, that caused the
Commission to issue orders that resulted in the extended shutdown of the
Millstone Units pending Northeast's correction of these problems. The NRC
undertook one of the most extensive oversight efforts in the agency's history to
confirm that these problems had been addressed effectively before restart.
Restart was allowed only after the Commission itself reviewed the situation in
detail and was convinced the actions taken by the company were effective. In
making this decision, the Commission-- which had been briefed periodically on
the status of on-going investigations-- determined it could allow restart
because comprehensive corrective actions had been taken to address the operator
training problems related to the issues under this investigation. Since restart
of the two units, we have continued to closely monitor their performance to
ensure the progress the company made during the extended shutdown of the two
units is sustained and the units are operated safely.

In this case, the company's willingness to cooperate with the government and
take responsibility for its actions is a sign of the current management's
interest in moving forward in a conscientious manner.

Leon E. Brown
Senior Consultant
Big Rock Point Restoration Project
(231) 547-8419