lost ram package

     The attached event, from the NRC events report, illustrates the
importance of having a procedure for receiving radioactive material
(ram) packages and being sure that all employees who could receive a ram
shipment are trained in this. This includes warehouse, mailroom,
reception, and security people.   In this case, even though the
receptionist is not supposed to receive ram packages, he/she could
inadvertently receive such a package, and should have sufficient
training to identify the presence of radioactive material and to know
the proper response.  This is especially difficult for unlabeled
packages, such as limited quantity shipments.  The individuals should be
trained to recognize the excepted package notices.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

EVENT TEXT

| ALLOY IDENTIFICATION INSTRUMENT LOST DURING
SHIPMENT                         |

| On March 14, 1999, DC Fabricators shipped a small alloy
identification       |
| instrument to Texas Nuclear Technology via UPS.  In early August,
DC         |
| Fabricators determined that the instrument had not arrived at Texas
Nuclear  |
| Technology.  The device contains 45 millicuries of Fe-55 and 4
millicuries   |
| of Cd-109.  UPS is looking for the device but has been unable to
locate it   |
date.

| * * * UPDATE 1016 9/27/1999 FROM BRAMBLE TAKEN BY STRANSKY * *
*             |

| The package has been located. It was delivered by UPS to the Texas
Nuclear   |
| facility, but the driver left it at the main entrance, not the
receiving     |
| department. The receptionist at the main entrance was a new hire and
did not |
| know to send the package to the receiving department. The package
was        |
| subsequently misplaced temporarily. The licensee has contacted the
NRC       |
| Region I office regarding this update. Notified R1DO
(Hinson).               |