Bioassay Labs

Title: Bioassay Labs

Thanks to everyone who provided names and numbers of bioassay labs capable of performing analysis for uranium.  I now have more than enough contacts to pass on the individual that requested the information.  I also received several generous offers to actually perform the analysis for us!  However, my agency is not the one wanting to have the bioassays done; we are simply gathering information for a Florida citizen who wants to cross-check the results of an analysis of her hair for uranium.  If we were to start arranging for bioassays for any member of the public that wanted one, we would probably never see the end of it, so we have elected to not set a precedent.  In addition, my reseach on the issue (greatly assisted by Radsafers, by the way) found nothing to suspect that a health hazard is likely to be associated with the "uranium in hair" issue.  The Radsafe archives were also useful, as this subject has come up before.

The responses to my request serve as examples of how useful Radsafe can be to the HP community.  Thanks, Melissa, and I promise to try not to commit any more netiquette infractions!

Walter Cofer
Florida Bureau of Radiation Control

walter_cofer@doh.state.fl.us