Japanese dose readings - for real?

>As of late Thursday night, 3.1 millisievert
>of neutrons per hour, or about 15,000
>times the normal level of radiation, was
>detected two kilometers (1.2 miles) from
>the accident site,'' an Ibaraki Prefecture
>official told Reuters.

----------------

Does anybody know who measured this dose, if they were using appropriate
instruments, if they were reading their instruments correctly, and if they
knew what they were doing?  If we don't know these things then, in my
opinion, this is just a rumor that may or may not reflect reality.  I would
think that dose readings this high should be verified by competent personnel
before they are accepted.

Andy

Andrew Karam, CHP              (716) 275-1473 (voice)
Radiation Safety Officer          (716) 275-3781 (office)
University of Rochester           (716) 256-0365 (fax)
601 Elmwood Ave. Box HPH   Rochester, NY  14642

Andrew_Karam@URMC.Rochester.edu
http://Intranet.urmc.rochester.edu/RadiationSafety